Are you naturally a conceptual thinker? Do you focus on the big ideas first but are then able to translate concepts and abstract ideas into visual strategies? Can you take a complex communication problem or strategy and give it the cutting edge visuals it needs to truly resonate? Can you inspire, engage and lead a team of creatives to deliver award-winning design? Do you have a track record of delivering impactful, disruptive and innovative campaigns? Are you curious and hungry with a passion for creative expression? We’re ready to take the conceptual and visual execution for our clients’ projects to the next level and we’re looking for someone who can do that with us. If you think this is you, read on!
Here at thinkPARALLAX, we’re a highly-experienced team of creative problem solvers focusing on developing and implementing purpose-driven brands. We work at the intersection of business strategy, sustainability, and communication. Our values stem from the belief that profit and sustainability are not mutually exclusive – good business means doing the right thing. We have an open and flexible studio environment where creativity, opinions and passions are strongly encouraged. We value life outside work deeply but expect 110% dedication and an excellent work ethic.
About the position:
The Creative Director takes the lead in generating ideas and guiding execution – connecting the dots between business and audience insights, and translating those into creative concepts and strategic visual communication solutions in a clear and compelling way to both clients and teammates. The Creative Director is responsible for translating client/communication objectives into creative strategies, designs, and plans.
- Lead the creative team in executing impactful, inspiring and award-winning visual communication solutions
- Develop concepts for campaigns, reports, websites, communications plan implementations, etc. and act as a bridge between the client and the Account Manager, Strategists, and the creative team
- Help the team define underlying rationale for creative approaches as well as contribute to creative execution and decisions
- Own and contribute to key deliverables, including project and creative briefs, creative presentations and rationale, messaging and brand development.
- Be a genuine, inspiring, and motivating leader who leads by example, is a great listener and guide, but can make decisions quickly and effectively when needed
- Be a leader who ‘connects the dots’ and thinks critically and strategically
- Identify ways in which thinkPARALLAX can support clients in the achievement of their business and communications goals
- Keep a pulse on new trends in the corporate responsibility, sustainability & marketing/communications space
- Maintain current design skill sets and professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Review and approve materials developed by creative team
- Understand our clients’ businesses deeply; what opportunities and challenges our clients face, why and what should we do about them; become an expert in our clients’ culture, competition and industry
- Improve quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes if needed; recommending process changes to the creative department.
Skills and experience:
An effective Creative Director has:
At a creative level:
- 7-10 years of experience or at least 4+ years experience leading, managing and mentoring visual communication teams to create cutting edge visual, digital and social communication solutions
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Advertising, Visual Communication, Graphic Design, Art Direction, etc
- Hands-on design experience working as a Senior Designer, Creative Strategist, Assistant CD, Senior Art director or Creative Director
- Very strong conceptual skills (big ideas!) and the ability to execute conceptual visual ideas to create innovative visual, social and digital solutions in a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to understand and translate complex business challenges and insight into strategic visual communications solutions (ability to think in systems and patterns)
- Demonstrated ability to guide team in seeing conceptual solutions through to execution
- Less is More is your go-to design style. You live and breath design.
- Demonstrated expertise in brand development, integrated campaign development, interactive/UI/UX design, and digital marketing.
- You’re a multifaceted individual who is both a doer and a leader, who’s passionate about great work and nourishing creativity in all aspects of your life.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Good writing skills is a plus
At a communication/leadership level:
- You possess excellent communication and presentation skills that enable you to evangelize, articulate, and pitch great work to client stakeholders at all levels, and to inspire and rally internal collaborators across disciplines.
- Actively involved in hiring and training creative staff
Let’s not forget a CD has:
- Natural creative problem solving skills
- Get the job done attitude in an efficient and effective manner
- An insatiable curiosity and eagerness to learn (and listen)
- A big drive to create the best design out there
- A natural ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A genuine interest in corporate responsibility and sustainability; especially how companies are embedding purpose into their brand’s value proposition
- A willingness to work long hours when needed
- A love to travel, some for business and for PARALLAXploration!
Full-time position in Encinitas, California.
Benefits: health/dental insurance, 401K, weekly yoga, public transportation reimbursement, profit sharing plan, PARALLAXploration
If you’re convinced this is you, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter (Tell us why you’re the one, be real. Show us why you fit with us, what your passions and beliefs are)
- Link to your online portfolio
- Salary requirements